The Learning Centre team delivers learning support, solutions and teaching programmes for individual, small group and classroom learning issues. The team of specialists and teacher aides provide support through:
- Literacy skills development
- Mathematical development
- Study skills and assessment techniques
- ‘Learning lessons’ linked to curriculum areas
- Special assessment conditions applications for NCEA
Gifted and Talented Education
The GATE Coordinator facilitates Gifted and Talented Education which supports the needs of highly able students. The Coordinator provides additional learning opportunities, support and mentoring for students who have the potential for exceptional levels of performance.
Rangi Ruru was the first girls school to implement a GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) Programme and this extensive experience in personalisation means that we have the tools to nurture girls’ development to ensure they reach their full potential.
We provide a relaxed, supportive and inclusive environment where specialist support and extension is given. Our programme includes:
- Acceleration and multi-levelling
- Mentoring including providing pastoral care and advocacy for students
- Creation of Personal Development Plans (PDPs) with the GATE Coordinator who works closely with Tutors and Deans
- Workshops and lectures from visiting experts
- Field Trips
- Specialist programmes (Year 11 Social Psychology and Year 12 Philosophy).
GATE students also have the opportunity to participate in groups and activities such as creative writing, chess and future problem solving.
ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) tuition is provided for individuals or small groups with a specialist teacher.